I have 16- year working experience in teaching foreign languages. I have an internet sites with a lot of learning plans and tests related to foreign languages. I have also written several language learning mobile apps which we can also use during the lessons. I concentrate primirely on the structure of the language and reading texts (with full understanding ) .Just knowing very simple rules makes it possible to build your own sentences correctly, hence making communication possible. As for vocabulary... all one needs is a good dictionary (there are many good on-line dictionaries available in the internet). Of course, I sent files (in pdf- format) with common Japanese words which students use to practice making they own centences. I use different kinds of exercises to get the new structures and words into long- term memory. I have written many mobile apps which we can use during the lessons. I try to make my lessons useful, which also depends on the personality and the learning style of the students.
Absolute beginners start off making very easy sentences. Once they are able to do it, they begin to make the sentences more complicated.
1. They read.
2. They read books.
3. They read books every day.
4. They read interesting books every day.
5. They read interesting books every day when they come from work.
6. They read interesting books every day when they come from work unless they are tired.
7. They read interesting books every day when they come from work unless they are very tired.